Decision About the PDF/X-1a:2001 Problem

I think I’ve been researching this problem non-stop. At least it seems that way. I’d already figured out that converting my book to PDF/X-1a:2001 on Ubuntu Linux was out. Next, I took a serious look at Serif’s PagePlus, thinking I could run it on the Windows partition of my computer. However, I decided that since some folks have had problems with Serif’s PagePlus PDF/X-1a:2001 metadata and Lightning Source, that perhaps PagePlus wasn’t for me at this time. Since the whole self-publishing process is all so new, I figured I don’t need another stressor thrown into the mix!

That left Adobe Acrobat Professional. The newest version is prohibitive because of cost. I scoured Amazon and eBay, coming to the conclusion that even older versions would cost a pretty penny, as in at least $200, likely more. This amazes me because so many of them don’t run on anything higher than Windows XP. Still, I was clueless to know which one would be best.

I finally thought to look at my public library for a book that I could check out. I discovered that they do indeed have one, Adobe Acrobat 9 PDF Bible, by Ted Padova.

This book has been very helpful. It is set up as a reference book, and details every aspect of the PDF process. What I realized, is that I don’t need all the bells and whistles. All I really need is Acrobat Distiller, which can’t be purchased as a stand-alone program; it is integrated into Adobe Acrobat.

So. I found a new copy of Adobe Acrobat Professional version 6 for about $80 on Amazon. This is the earliest version of Acrobat that can create the PDFs that Lightning Source wants. I’ll dust off my old XP computer and install it there.

I confess I’m still a little nervous about the whole thing, but at least I can get back to finishing the front matter and index of my book.

Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.