Upon opening anything for editing, always “save as” immediately, with that day’s date. All those former versions are likely to come in handy.
In what I would like to think of as being one of the last steps, I am currently adding page numbers. It’s turned out to be a fiddly process, in regards to formatting. Adding the page numbers within the printer’s required margins throws my previous meticulous formatting off.
I’m trying to keep a consistent appearance throughout the book, taking care that things like spacing between photos or captions and text is the same. Spacing between page numbers and text is less consistent, though I notice from all the books I’ve inspected, this is common.
As a reader, I’ve never noticed things like that before. Now, as I build my own book, I take great notice. Now, it’s important to me.
Even though I’m primarily interested in publishing a paperback version of my book, I recently looked into the possibility of a Kindle version. What I’ve learned is that books on Kindle are best if they have no, or few illustrations. I have something like 130 photographs, plus nearly a dozen diagrams, so a Kindle edition wouldn’t work well, I don’t think.
I sent chapter 13 off to be proof read today. Everything else (table of contents, index, cover, acknowledgements, and dedication) is in the works. The biggie will be the cover, because it requires another learning curve!
Spent the day working on the Kikobian Books website. It’s up now, in a simple form, but ready to work with. Because I am planning to self-publish, I wanted a publishing “face” to put on my book, hopefully books. It’s one more thing I can check off my to-do list.
I printed out chapters 1 through 8 today, to see how the pages looked especially the photos. It’s amazing how many errors one can catch on a printed page that were elusive on the computer monitor.
The most important part of a non-fiction book, in my thinking, is the index. Nothing is more annoying than a scanty one, nor one that didn’t seem worth the effort to do well. I confess it irritates me if, for example, I want to look up “cherry pie,” only to find that entry telling me “see pie, cherry”. It would take less characters to simply put the page number in both places!
Granted, it is a huge task, as I’m learning. I don’t think I could do it without my computer, word processor, and spreadsheet. Not as easily or thoroughly anyway.
My procedure is this:
- Read through each chapter and appendix, and make a list of words and terms on alphabetized index cards.
- Type the words from the cards into a spreadsheet.
- Click on A to Z order to alphabetize.
- Select all and copy from the spreadsheet. (For a list of the software I’m using, click here.)
- Paste into simple text editor to remove formatting.
- Copy and paste onto my book index.
- Next will be to put all the chapters into a single document. This can only be done once the proofing, editing, and last minute changes are complete.
- Then add page numbers.
- Finally, use the find feature on my word processor to find the terms in my index, and copy the page numbers.
True, this will still be time consuming, but I hope will be worth it for the reader.
Created after much trial and error with Inkscape. I’ll have to stare at it for awhile to decide if it needs more tweaking.
To include recipes particularly well suited to homegrown ingredients:
Green Bean Broccoli Salad with World Famous Croutons
Canned Green Tomatoes for Frying
Sweet Potato Honey Pie
Stuffed Summer Squash
All of these will be updated with recipe notes included.
Ubuntu Linux – operating system
Xfce – desktop environment
LibreOffice Writer – word processor
Leafpad – simple text editor
Xfce Notes plugin – for jotting notes
Gimp – photo editor
Inkscape – vector drawings (logo, etc)
Scribus – desktop publisher
LibreOffice Calc – spreadsheet (index)